Laborie


The village of Laborie lies on the coast in the South West corner of St.Lucia. The Amerindians were the first inhabitants and Amerindian artefacts have been found throughout the area. Laborie got its name from Baron de Laborie who was governor of St.Lucia from 1784 to 1789. He rebuilt the church after it was destroyed by a hurricane in 1780.

The French were probably the first European settlers during the 18th century. The village lies in a beautiful bay and is protected by a large reef. Which provides shelter for fish and large deep water fish that come to feed.
Laborie Village St.Lucia
In 1763 there was about a dozen houses in Laborie. By 1775 there were 81 estates producing sugar, cotton, cocoa and coffee.

When the British took control of the island in 1814 many of the french landowners remained on their estates. Sugar continued to be the main cash crop.

With the downfall of sugar other crops were being planted, cotton coconuts and bananas. During the second world war the Americans built a base in Vieux fort. Many of the labourers working on the plantations left and went to work at the base. They were tempted by the better wages and regular hours.

During this period another exodus took place. Many people from the quarter of Laborie travelled overseas to try to get a better life. Many went to England and sent money back to their families.

Today Laborie is a beautiful unspoilt place where fishing is the main industry. Many of the Laborians now work at factories in Vieux Fort or travel to Castries for employment.